Towards the beginning of the pandemic, March 2020, I was afraid.
Like millions of people around the world, I was worried about how I would make a living. How would I provide for my family? What would happen to us?
A large part of my income is made flying around the USA (and the world) and inspiring audiences. By the middle of March this income stream had quickly dried up.
Thankfully, I prayed about what to do and had the inspiration to create an online Summit which attracted thousands of people and had amazing sponsors. Months later, the world of online speaking took off and in addition to the growth of other parts of my business, I’m just fine.
But I remember that fear.
Of course it was not the first time I had fear, nor will it be the last.
The question we all must ask ourselves is what do we do with the fear we have?
We have two choices?
We can decide to curl up and go into a metaphorical closet and let the fear consume us.
Or we can decide to acknowledge the fear but not let it grip us.
We can decide to let the fear be a crutch or we can decide to let it be a catalyst to move us forward.
Weather in our business or in our personal lives, we’re going to experience fear, here’s a few key things we can do to get beyond our fears and face them with confidence.
- Acknowledge that you have the fear.
- Take the time to reflect and think. Don’t rush through the fear and try to ignore it.
- Talk with others who can inspire you, encourage you.
- Asses what things you have, don’t focus only on what you do not have.
- Leverage the power of your network. Within your network of family, friends, customers, partners, vendors, mentors, mentees and others there’s people who can help you AND who you can help.
- Be creative. The more creative you are the greater your chance of pulling through the situation.
- Take risks. While you don’t have to be RISKY you can take measured risks to enable you to test and explore new opportunities.
Ramon Ray is founder of SmartHustle.com and an entrepreneur who has started four small companies and sold two of them. He is an author, sought after global keynote speaker and event producer whose passion is inspiring and educating small business owners to start and grow their businesses.